Expectations for Volunteers
All volunteers are expected to schedule and attend a 30 minute training session in the pantry before they can begin volunteering at the pantry. Expectations for volunteer shifts at Feed the Pack during pantry hours are posted below.
- Greet patrons as they enter the pantry.
- Ensure each patron has a mask.
- Ensure each patron uses hand sanitizer upon entering
- Monitor number of people in pantry (10 or less including volunteers).
- Make sure patrons swipe in on table in front of check out desk.
- Show patrons the “Soon to Expire” section.
- Check on computer that card has been swiped (listen for a beep).
- Weigh food on scale.
- Log requested information into the “Pickup Form”
- Help direct patrons to food if they ask for assistance.
- Refill shelves from overflow storage if shelves are empty.
- Check food labels for expired and soon to expire food (Add food that expires within the month to the “Soon to Expire” section).
- Sweep floors
- Wipe down shelves, door handles, scale, and countertops at the beginning of shifts and as often as possible.
- Process donations if time permits it.
Before Pantry Hours Shift
This shift is essential for the food pantry to be able to effectively restock and prepare the pantry each week. This shift will require the same 30 minute training before shifts can be signed up for. The expectations for the before pantry hours volunteer shift are to…
- Sort, organize, and repackage bulk donations
- Restock the shelves
- Prepare the pantry to open
- Clean the pantry
- Typically recurring for a month at a time (sign up for doing a month of volunteering at the beginning of the month)
Why we Need Volunteers
Feed the Pack Food Pantry is a student-run organization that depends on the dedication and effort of volunteers to keep the pantry open and running smoothly. We do not have full-time, paid staff that work in the pantry, so we rely on volunteers to carry out our mission. We are a resource for the entire NC State community, and we would love for the entire NC State community to get involved – students, staff, and faculty are all welcome (and encouraged!) to volunteer with Feed the Pack! If you would like to get involved and be a part of our work, please fill out the Volunteer Interest Form.
If you are interested in volunteering as a group with the pantry this fall, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org by the 15th of the month prior to the month during which you want to volunteer. (e.g. if you wish to volunteer on a Monday in March, you would need to contact the provided email no later than February the 15th.)
Please keep in mind that groups cannot consist of more than 3-4 volunteers due to the limit on the number of people that can be in the pantry at the same time.
Volunteer Interest Form
We are so excited that you are interested in volunteering with Feed the Pack Food Pantry. To get connected with us, please fill out the Volunteer Interest Form and we will send you more information about signing up for a short training session before you being volunteering in the pantry. We hope to see you in the pantry soon!
After we have reached a certain number of volunteers for the semester, the Volunteer Interest Form is closed. If you find that the Volunteer Interest Form is no longer accepting new responses, please check back again at the beginning of next semester. If you are still interested in volunteering with us this semester, you can check out our group volunteering opportunities. If you have any other questions, you can also contact email@example.com.